Frequently Asked Questions

Research and Economic Development

The University of Arkansas may reimburse travel expenses for foreign visitors as long as it follows IRS requirements. The rules for travel expenses also apply to honoraria and stipends.

UA must follow strict procedures on funds transfers to non-resident aliens governed by tax treaties that vary from country to country.

It is best to pay the travel costs upfront. If that is not possible, the UA can make wire transfers anywhere in the world with proper bank codes.

New, more restrictive guidelines are in the process of being implemented by the federal government. The new guidelines may make reimbursing international visitors more difficult in the future. It is important that faculty expecting international visitors consult with the appropriate offices ahead of time. The UA host is encouraged to discuss the issue in advance with Travel in Business Affairs and with the Non-resident Tax Coordinator in Human Resources.

Research & Sponsored Programs

Research Compliance

Technology Ventures